Skip to content

Leaving Ubuntu

After some consideration of both recent and historical decisions by Canonical in regards to the Ubuntu project and distribution, the lack of any noticeable dissension by the community leadership, I’ll be deleting my Launchpad account, along with all memberships to Ubuntu groups, this Saturday, March 2nd. The date represents the six year anniversary of my creating the account, so it seems somehow appropriate to delete it on this day. Additionally, this will give me a few days to [hopefully] make sure that I’m out of my commitments cleanly and things are turned over to the new Ubuntu Maryland contact properly. If you know of something that is needed to do before this date, please contact me.

Ron Swift is planning to have a local bug jam event this Saturday. Please RSVP to him if you are interested in participating.

8 Comments

1. ScottK wrote:

Sorry to see you go. I’ve certainly been dissenting as hard as I can.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 10:33 pm | Permalink
  2. lucky wrote:

It would be nice to know what exactly were the reasons to leave. What was the final decision by Canonical that you didn’t like.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 at 1:19 am | Permalink
  3. Martin Owens wrote:

Keep up the good work whereever you go.

The leadership of the Ubuntu community isn’t really well defined enough. Plenty of people have been disenting. The problem is that the Canonical community over-rides our consensus no matter what our views. We are as mutes and that is frustrating.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 at 7:37 am | Permalink
  4. Alex wrote:

I hear you. I’ve always been kind of insulated, since I’ve historically used Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu, but even so, I’ve switched my laptop and my work desktop to Arch. For the non-technical crowd, I’d suggest Linux Mint. I’m still on Ubuntu for my home server, but I’m not really doing anything there that I couldn’t do with Debian.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 at 10:50 am | Permalink
  5. Stephen C wrote:

I’m sorry you feel this way. There are two important points which I hope you haven’t overlooked in the course of making this decision.
    The first is it is Canonical’s OS, and they have a plan, and we need to respect that. For example, it is obvious now that for several years now they have been planning moves towards producing an OS that suits the tablet market. Now, with tablets becoming more and more popular, it is evident that Linux needs to move in that direction, and already Ubuntu has prototype software that suits tablets.
    Microsoft, a major competitor, has been making strategic moves in this direction as well, so it is important that Linux distributions aren’t left behind.
    This is where Ubuntu comes in. Canonical has been orienting it towards what a touch screen operating system will look and behave like, even though many of the units it is currently installed on don’t have that capability.
    In case you think Ubuntu is my favourite OS, it isn’t, I prefer another distribution which is based on Ubuntu, and that leads to the second point:
    Ubuntu isn’t just “Ubuntu” (i.e. it isn’t just the package you download), it is also the base to many other distributions e.g. Linux Mint, Linux Deepin, etc.
    These different distributions exist because people believed Ubuntu could be better than what they downloaded from Canonical, so they didn’t give up, instead they used the benefit of the GPL system to make what they consider to be improvements to Ubuntu and gave us the priviledge of downloading the fruits of Canonical’s and their efforts.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Permalink
  6. From one community member to another I would like to thank you for your contributions to the Ubuntu Community. There are many of us throughout the community who are equally disappointed in the way of things as of recent and are dissenting as hard as possible.

Thursday, February 28, 2013 at 7:32 pm | Permalink
  7. Jono Bacon wrote:

Sorry to see you leave us, Chuck. All the best for the future!

Thursday, February 28, 2013 at 8:42 pm | Permalink
  8. AB wrote:

responding to “Stephen C”: I see nothing in your remarks to suggest that fixing the current backlog of PC-related bugs matters to Canonical. (fixing != wontfix)

Friday, March 1, 2013 at 6:24 am | Permalink